Sister Wives Take NYC

4.22.2015

This? Now, this had been in the works for a looooooong time. I mean, kind of. My girlfriends and  joked about the idea of taking a trip to New York City to commemorate our two years together basically husbandless and stuff. I've never been (I don't count that one day that was a disastrous fail) and neither had Clarissa, so, we put it on the back burner, pretending that maybe we could convince our husbands to let it be a graduation present to ourselves for the sacrifices we had made while they earned their degrees (it's definitely teamwork, is it not? they get the paper degree and the praise + recognition, we get the....?).

Anyway, as our days dwindled, we decided and conquered. Melinda has a sister-in -law (THANK YOU!)  who lives in NYC and it just so happens that they were going to be out of town in April on a weekend that miraculously worked for all of our schedules and our husbands. It was a MIRACLE. SERIOUSLY. The stars aligned. We were SOOOO excited, and basically told our boys that we were leaving a specific weekend and the damn well better make their schedules fit ours for once. no kids (except baby Clara- she was an angel the entire time).  No schedules. It would be the the most epic trip of all trips.

We took the greyhound bus 5 hours into NYC. Guys, I felt like I was in high school again, riding on the bus, eating treats, watching movies, giggling. It was pretty great. I swear I lose about 10 years when I ditch my kids and get around girlfriends. After Clarissa almost missed the bus (haha!), we were on our way, fully intact, all people in our party present.


Then, once we got there, it took us an hour wandering back and forth  the subway terminal with a big stroller, a dirty pillow and touristy suitcases trying to find our way to the apartment. Wow we looked like idiots, kind of.  It took us a long time to get to the apartment, and my feet were dead, but hey! It was only midnight in NYC! Let's get this party started!




DAY 1

But the NEXT MORNING we had big plans to get up early and get a Cronut from the famed Dominque Ansel bakery and luckily we made it early enough to stand in line and win a cronut (I got two). But the best part the bakery was the DKA---basically the most amazing thing I have ever put in my mouth.

We were pretty excited to eat this shiz for breakfast.



We wandered around the city that day, stopping in at some of our must see places listed. I'm not kidding when I say we ate our way through the city. We ate at three bakeries within three hours or something like that. It was kind of ridiculous. We made our way to Chelsea Market and ate lunch there...only the most amazing tacos ever (we missed quality Mexican food in Ithaca). We wandered around the shops, ate more food, and basked in our freedom.



We went to Strand bookstore just because we're cool like that and I bought a book because what better souvenir is there than that?


And since we were SO CLOSE to midtown, we SHOPPED OUR GUTS OUT. it was prrrrrrrrettttty awesome. no shopping like NYC, am I right? We had so much fun and probably spent too much money, but I"m pretty sure our husbands will never find out until it's too late.


We had plans to find the best pizza in NYC, and WE DID! We were debating between Grimaldi's and Juliana's, both in Brooklyn, both famous. We decided on Juliana's based on Yelp ratings and the size of the line at Grimaldis.....and let me tell you, that was the best decision any of us has ever made in our lives. Patsy Grimaldi, the originator of Grimaldi's (not his anymore) and now owns Juliana's. He works at the front of the store, seating guests, starting conversations and calling you things like "doll".  While we were dying from the amazingness of our pizza (IT LITERALLY IS THE BEST PIZZA I HAVE EVER HAD AND I'M NOT EXAGGERATING AT ALLLLLLL!!!), he came to our table and asked how our pizza was, chatted about where we were visiting from and asked to hold Melinda's baby Clara. So of course, we all instantly fell in love with him right then and there, that Baby-holding, cigar-toting, Frank Sinatra-friending pizza genius.

     

We obviously had to document the experience because the guy is a freaking legend. Best Brooklyn accent. Best night of my life. After talking to a group of 50 year old men amazed that all of us were mothers of 2 or 3 kids (you can't be older than 23?!), we walked outside looking to make our way back to the city when Patsy Grimaldi asked us if we needed a ride home. A RIDE HOME! he was just gonna hop in his car and give us a lift back to our place. Unfortunately for us we needed to go to Midtown. So that was a sad night...my only regret. But it made me love Patsy even more and I am forever loyal to Juliana's pizza for the rest of my life. So here's the moral of my story. When given the choice between Grimaldi's and Juliana's.......well. you know. don't make the worst mistake of your life.



After not getting a ride home from Patsy, we walked down the road to get a good look at the city at night....isn't it beautiful? I can't say I've ever been enamored with New York, but this trip changed that for me. Isn't that view amazing?







That day. What a day. Probably one of my favorites. But wait! It gets better.

DAY 2

Since we split up our list of things to do into areas of the city, our next day was dedicated to museums, central park, all the food we wanted to eat in that vicinity, Times Square and Broadway

So. Wafels and Dinges. Obviously. Basically the best waffle you'll have in your life. We unknowingly stumbled upon it right as it was opening, so we ended up being the first in a quickly appearing long line. It was fate. FATE i tell you! the Girls' Trip Gods were smiling down on us this whole time. Perfect weather! Good luck! We couldn't have asked for more.


We walked through the Central Park to the museums and decided to go to the MET. It was pretty amazing. We didn't have as much time as we would have like there, but to see original paintings by Van Gough and Degas and Picasso was more amazing than I could have dreamed.


Clarissa and I had never been to an actual Broadway play, so we decided to buy tickets and go, per Melinda's blessing (baby love). Les Miserables was the winner, so we headed down towards Broadway and Times Square to pick up our tickets and go shopping. THAT was a mistake. NEVER GO SHOPPING AT TIMES SQUARE! I felt like a freaking sardine packed in a TV. Insanity. I don't know if I will ever understand the pull of Times Square. Ever.


Anyway, forget about Times Square. We went to BROADWAY!

We dressed up in our best jumpsuits (also called onesies)(we didn't mean to match), and headed to the show. I love Les Mis, and ever since the movie came out I've been dying to see the original play. It did not disappoint. There were many times that night that I got cold chills or my eyes started tearing up or i was laughing out loud (Master of the House FTW). It was amazing. AMAZING! words don't even do it justice.


And here's something even more crazy. You know that hot guy on Single's Ward? Jonathan Jordan? Did you guys used to watch that when you were little? I had a huge crush on him. His real name is Will Swenson. Anyway....turns out that my Will Swenson was Javert in the play. His voice was amazing and the whole time I'm like...gosh that guy is familiar to me for some reason? But I dismissed it because why would he be? you know? Clarissa finally made the connection for me and I was MIND BLOWN. (geez i'm using a lot of caps here). Anyway. It was amazing, the end.


Afterwards we went to eat dinner (at midnight, YOLO) at Junior's, famed restaurant and cheesecakery. It was ok. But our waiter was hott and gave us free stuff, so yeah, we still got it.

We made it home, brought food for Melinda (i still feel bad for abandoning her all night) and we put on our Girls' Trip shirts that Clarissa's mom had bought for us. They're hideous, right? but so funny and sweet and yeah, I still have mine. Also, so much glitter. Everywhere.




DAY 3

Nothing particularly important happened when we woke up except packing and going to brunch at Sarabeth's, because duh, you have to. It really was so good too. We ate so much good food this trip.


We made it home in one piece and saw that our husbands survived without us and realized we should probably leave them more often. BAM.



I sure love these girls. It was one of the best trips I've ever taken, and most of it was due to the fact that I got to go with them. Sister wives for life, over and out.

2 comments:

  1. How am I just seeing this????? I just cried... The food, me almost missing the bus(!!!!!!), dancing in the taxi like lunatics, us running to get ice cream so we wouldn't miss the bus again, the paper doll game I got you hooked on... It was a dream trip I will never forget. You guys are the BEST and I miss you. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this just sounds amazing..... Mostly the food and les mis part. And the part where Jonathan Jordan was javert. WHAT?! How did that happen? I went to les mis when I was 10 and have been in love ever since. I want to go again. In New York would be nice......

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

beard All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger