berry picking and a recipe too

8.26.2013

One of my favorite things so far about New York are the farms that are so close to my house. A quick 15 minute drive, and we are in the wide open north country of cornfields and sunflowers and green. There is a nice blueberry patch at a place called Grisamore farms and they let you pick all the berries you want.

A few girls from my ward and I wanted in on that action. 
So in we got.



 I knew Viv would absolutely love it, but I didn't realize how much she would love it. She was content to find a bush and pick all the berries off of it and eat them one by one. Another favorite pastime of hers was to find my bag of picked berries, sit down next to it and shove handfuls into her mouth. I think she literally ate her weight in blueberries that day. And we won't even talk about what her diapers were like the next few days.








It was hot and humid and I was wearing black and we were all a hot mess at the end, but when all was said and done, I got about 6 pounds of blueberries for 12 bucks! And I'll tell you a secret: normally, I don't even like blueberries, but THESE blueberries...well, that's a different story. HOLY.
 So now my freezer is stocked and I'm on the hunt for the best blueberry muffin recipe in the world. 
Do you have that recipe? Because you should hook a sistah up.

So, if you're in a blueberry mood, here's a little recipe that will knock the socks off your husband, you friends, and probably even your mother-in-law (yes, even her).

It's a perfect end-of-summer pie recipe that I stole from my lovely friend Ashley back around the 4th of July. Take it from the girl who hates fruit pies and blueberries: it's divine. I mean...seriously. It gets rave reviews from all involved.

(sorry, my camera has been giving me extra grief lately, so behold a crappy phone pic)

I decided to make this pie mostly because it reminds me of my lovely friend mentioned above, And also because I got a whole bushel of fresh peaches from that farm that were just begging to be reincarnated into a dessert of some kind. I, of course, obliged, and so did the blueberries, and Viola! Into blueberry-peach mini pies they became. And a big pie too...because this recipe makes a whole bunch of filling.


Ready? ok.

Peach-blueberry pie
from Everyday Food magazine

1 1/2 cups sugar
5 Tbl quick-cooking tapioca
1/2 tsp course salt
3 lbs peaches, peeled and sliced (about 6 cups)
12 oz blueberries (about 2 cups)
3 Tbl fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
2 Tbl cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg, separated and slightly beaten.

You'll also need your favorite double pie crust or the store bought kind and a little flour for rolling

1. Preheat oven to 425. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, tapioca and salt. Add peaches, blueberries and lemon juice and toss to combine. Let sit for 15 minutes. Lightly flour a rolling pin and work surface and roll out half the dough to a 12-inch round. Place in a 9-inch glass pie plate and brush with egg white. Pour in fruit filling and dot with butter.

2. Roll out remaining dough to a 12-inch round and place over fruit filling. Trim excess and crimp edges to seal. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg yolk with 1 Tbl cold water. Brush top of dough with egg yolsk mixture. With a paring knife, cut several small slits on top to vent. Set on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 50 minutes, or until crust is deep golden brown and juices are bubbling. (the crust around the edges of my pie tend to burn quickly, so I just cover it with tinfoil when it starts looking too dark.) If you can, let the pie cool completely (about 3 hours) before eating it. Take my word for it when I say that it tastes just as good warm (especially with ice cream!), it just may not stay together as well.

for mini pies: I find that the filling makes enough for me to make about 6 mini pies first, and then enough filling for a whole pie (especially if you have a crust recipe that makes a lot! if not, buy an extra crust or two, just in case). 
÷;';;
To make mini pies, I used a big, round cookie cutter to make circles (but you could use any shape you want! these are really versatile). Drop a good amount of filling in the middle, and then cover that with a slightly bigger version of another circle (the top circles I just flattened out a little more with a rolling pin so they could cover the filling easier). Take a fork and crimp all around the edges to seal. The juice with probably be spilling out, but that's ok. They still look pretty after they're cooked! Take a knife and make a few slits in the top of the pies and then brush with the egg yolk mixture above. I baked these on a cookie sheet for about 20 minutes at 425, and they turned out perfectly!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. You go girl!!! I may need to use this recipe like tonight! Haha these look divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look divine and i love the person you got the recipe from!

    here is a yummy muffin recipe for you to try.. :)

    http://domesticatedacademic.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/power-muffins-blueberryoatmealyogurtpower/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that PIE! I'm bummed I missed this trip. I want to live in the blueberry bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so yummy!

    Shannon
    http://GBOfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These mini pies look so delicious!

    Paige
    http://thehappyflammily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

beard All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger