writer wednesdays: halloween edition v.1

10.10.2012


I love Halloween. So so much.

So for the rest of October, we (the...two of you who do this...) are going to be doing Halloween-themed writing. All things scary, spooky, mysterious and haunted are happening in writing club this month.

Oh yes. I know you got the shivers just thinking about it.

So. Let's talk about Chris Van Allsburg.

He is officially my muse for this week's writing prompt.

Ever since I was a little girl, I have been OBSESSED with Chris Van Allsburg books. The Witches Broom, and The Sweetest Fig are among my favorites. He also is the genius behind The Polar Express and Jumanji, along with many more. His illustrations have always captured my imagination, and his simple writing is just so...mysterious. I love his stories. He is my favorite children's author of all time. He's also the reason that I want a topiary garden of unicorns and elephants someday. I know. I'm a total geek.

That being said:

In one of his books, The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, there is no story, but a collection of illustrations with a mysterious caption underneath. The story of how Van Allsburg found these pictures is a mystery in itself, which you can read about here.

So this week, we're writing a short story.
A real, legit story.

It's going to be an open assignment, and it will run until Halloween (or however long we need). I will still be posting shorter writing prompts throughout the month, but I hope that you guys will keep writing your story a little at a time.

This is going to be the BEST WRITING ASSIGNMENT EVER!

SO.
Pick a picture that gets your imagination going.
Write about it.
Share it.

There are 15 illustrations, but I had to chose four to narrow it down. If you would like to use a different picture, you can see all of the illustrations and captions here.

UNDER THE RUG
Two weeks passed and it happened again.


MISSING IN VENICE
This time she had gone too far.


MR. LINDEN'S LIBRARY
He had warned her about the book.
Now it was too late.


                                                              JUST DESERT*
                                  She lowered the knife and it grew even brighter.

I'm so excited to see which picture people will choose and the awesome stories that will come from this. I really can't wait. I'm stoked. STOKED! Seriously, I had a hard time waiting until Wednesday to post about this.

So don't let me down. Let's do this! Get crazy! I can't wait to see what we all come up with.

*if you were wondering why I spelled this wrong, I didn't. Read here for an explanation. It's pretty interesting (scroll all the way down to the bottom).

To get access to the group to read stories or contribute, comment with your email or shoot me an email elyse{dot}beard{at}gmail{dot}come

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

beard All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger